Green Card After 10 Years Living In The U.S

Can I Get A Green Card After 10 Years Living In The U.S.?

Can I Get A Green Card After 10 Years Living In The U.S.?

There is a myth that sometimes circulates among the undocumented immigrant community that if you are an undocumented immigrant living in the United States for ten years, you qualify for a permanent resident card. While there is a small grain of truth in that myth, the reality is much more complicated.

Instead of applying for legal residency in the U.S. by the traditional permanent resident process, an undocumented person can obtain a “Cancellation of Removal”. However, this type of relief is only offered to undocumented people who have been arrested by ICE and are facing deportation. Besides having lived in the U.S. continuously for ten years, you will also need to prove to a judge that your close family (who are U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents) would face “exceptional or extremely unusual hardship”. Finally, you will also need to prove that you have a “good moral character” and haven’t been convicted of certain crimes or violated specific laws. While this is technically an option to obtain a permanent resident card, it is also extremely risky, and there is no guarantee it will work. Instead, we would always recommend contacting an experienced immigration attorney to help you with obtaining a permanent resident card.

In this article, we’ll cover what is a green card and how to get permanent resident card in the more traditional paths for foreign nationals.

What Is A Green Card?

A green card, or permanent resident card, is a document that allows a foreign national to live and work anywhere within the United States permanently. A permanent resident card can be obtained in several ways; however, most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer. In the next section, we’ll briefly cover the typical process for obtaining a permanent resident card.

How Do You Get A Permanent Resident Card?

First, you will need to visit the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website to find out which way you may be eligible to apply for a green card. If you are eligible, you will need to file Form I-485 with the USCIS – be sure to include supporting documentation and fees required. The USCIS will then review your application and schedule an interview with you. After your interview, the USCIS will inform you whether or not your application was successful. If successful, you will then be sent a green card within the following couple of months. This green card will then be valid for ten years.

Immigration is a diverse and complex area of law. Today, more than ever, if you or a loved one needs assistance with obtaining a permanent resident card, it is crucial you obtain proper legal representation. The experienced attorneys at Dominguez Law Firm, PLLC, are dedicated to assisting their clients in navigating the immigration process and ensure it is as smooth and stress-free as possible. Contact them today for a free consultation to discuss your immigration case!