African American siblings

How Do I Apply for a Green Card for My Sibling?

Once a person becomes a U.S. citizen, they have the ability to sponsor green cards for siblings, their spouses, and any unmarried children under the age of 21. However, there is a catch to obtaining green cards for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and that has to do with the number of green cards for siblings that are legally allowed to be issued each year. If you are a U.S. citizen and you are wondering “How do I get a green card for my sibling?”, keep reading. We’ll cover all about the application process for green cards for siblings.

Green Card for Siblings 

Obtaining a green card for siblings is a process in which a U.S. citizen petitions for their sibling(s) to immigrate to the United States. While this is technically an option, in reality, it is usually a very lengthy process as a sibling green card is given “fourth preference”. This is a lower priority level than a U.S. spouse or children, so siblings usually end up waiting multiple years due to the annual limits placed on the fourth preference category. 

What is the Process of Green Cards for Siblings? 

To begin applying for a green card(s) for sibling(s), you will first need to fill out the United States U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-130. Along with this form, the U.S. citizen and the sibling petitioner must submit the following documentation:

  • Your naturalization certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • You and your sibling’s birth certificate
  • Sibling’s passport
  • Proof of any legal name changes
  • Two passport-style photographs


Once the USCIS has approved Form I-130, your sibling will receive a “priority date” based on the day USCIS received your petition. You can track the progress of priority dates for the fourth preference category by monitoring the Visa Bulletin. When the dates for the family-based visa chart for the fourth preference category start to get close to the date your sibling was provided, then you can hope to see letters coming from the National Visa Center (NVC) soon. Once their application is approved, your sibling will likely need to do consular processing, which includes attending a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. If the interview goes well, your sibling and their family will be issued an immigrant visa and, when they enter the U.S., they will become permanent residents and receive their green cards a few weeks later.

If you are interested in bringing your sibling over to the United States via your U.S. citizenship, it’s best to speak to an experienced immigration attorney. At Dominguez Law Firm, PLLC, we are dedicated to assisting our clients in navigating the immigration process and ensuring it is as smooth and stress-free as possible. Get in touch today to discuss your unique immigration situation and how Dominguez Law Firm can assist your case.